An Arts and Crafts embossed Brass Wall Charger by Hugh Wallis. Early 20th century the centre embossed with stylised foliate design and bordered with dot and dash to rim impressed monogram ‘HW’
Size 47 cm diam
Hugh Wallis was born in Kettering in 1871 and trained in art at Bushey Herts in the 1890s. It is not known where he trained in metalwork. He went into business initially as an artist in which he excelled but moved to metalwork because it paid better. In 1900 he opened a studio at 7 Market Street Altrincham when he was living at The Poplars Burlington Street (now Road). In 1907 he moved to 2 Station Buildings Stamford New Road Altrincham at that time living at Carn Brae Hazelwood Road Hale. In 1911 he and his wife Dora moved their home to a large house at 72 The Downs Altrincham now three 1960s houses and renumbered as 80 80a 80b. In 1918 he still described himself as an Artist and at some stage exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy. Hugh did much of his metalwork at The Downs had a studio in the house and employed five or six employees in workshops behind. His showcase was on the left-hand wall of the front garden and always contained examples of his work (which were never stolen) and the remains of the wrought iron supports for it are still there. Hugh became a leading figure in the Northern Art Workers Guild and was a founder member of the Red Rose Guild of Artworkers which was established in Manchester in 1920 and of which he later became chairman. Meetings were for some time held at the Whitworth Art Gallery who still have a close interest in Hugh. Pilkingtons Tiles supported the guild and Margaret Pilkington acted as Honorary Secretary. Hugh produced some outstanding beaten copper pewter and brass usually in combination often bought for special occasions such as weddings and now much collected and often seen for sale on the Internet. Examples are chargers oval bowls rose bowls and mirrors in copper. Pieces however also included trays bowls vases jugs tea sets fire screens curbs coal buckets ashtrays and wall lights. Hugh died in 1944.