Douglas Pittuck was born in Plumstead, London and educated at Wallington Grammar School where he was taught art by Tom Nash, a friend of Stanley Spencer.
Whilst employed at New College Oxford, he was allowed time to attend art classes at the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art in the 1930’s. After the war he returned to the Ruskin full time with the aid of an ex-serviceman’s grant and studied under luminaries such as Eric Ravilious.
He began a 25 year career as an art teacher at Barnard Castle School in 1948. He remained an active artist and was one of the “Four Teesside Painters” formed in 1951.